Sunday, October 4, 2009

word-of-mouth + hot shoes = a bottle of water (what?)

Word of mouth is only as good as the person who says it (or is it?). After watching Jon on Larry King Live tonight, I began to wonder why people believe what they believe. Is it feeling based on past experiences or wishful thinking? Could it possibly be attributed to a nature vs nurture debate?

For instance. I have this bottle of water. No label - nada. I go on for a few minuets about why this bottle of water is THE bottle of water. ever. Why will you like it? Why won't you like it? Based on my words alone, you will draw conclusions.

NUTURE: I really don't like her shirt. I hate stripes. My cousin Lanie always wore stripes and I could never understand why she didn't realize that there WERE other patterns to wear. And why is she using the would fabulous? Thats just annoying and overused.

NATURE: I just walked 18 blocks - you say that water is great? awesome - Im thirsty..

Makes sense. All your past experiences may dive straight into me, my hair - my fabulous new shoes. Not necessarily the bottle of water -- but still judging the water based on me. But the nature part of you doesn't care what the water is about, you're thirsty.

So what drive decisions based on word-of-mouth. Am I a crucial part to your decision of buying my bottle of water (the word-of-mouther?) -- or am I just as useful as a shelf holding the water (aka I'm really not a factor at all in whether you buy the water -- your buying based on your natural instincts).

Don't ask me. I don't have the answer -- although I tend to believe I make a huge difference in that factor. If you don't like my shoes or my smile, I believe you wont like (or buy) my water either.

So as much as WOM may be the highlight of your marketing day. It may be only as good as the shoes it's wearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment