Monday, October 5, 2009

THRIFT: kinda like leggings -- only smarter

Its a guarantee that your favorite outfit you wear every night when you go out will most definitely be mocked by your children 20 years from now -- which says a lot about trends. Whats in today is out next year. But with the recession an issue, Im curious to see what we will see as the trends of these times (minus leggings..meh).

Its obvious that saving cash money (strike one), is definitely something that is heating up every brands' advertising -- but will it stick? Will designers, brand managers, the creative minds be able to conjure up alternatives that will cause us to think differently about what we purchase? With even luxury goods dropping revenues (I say that because truth is that luxury brands are known to out live bad times -- because people with money will still have money, not as much, but still a lot) will those who lived on luxury goods now consider alternative, cheaper options?

I THINK YES. I remember in high school and college, if you didn't have a Juicy, who were you? Those were the times that the flashier your bling was, the more people gossiped about you (thats a good thing.." Did you see her bag? I heard she was out all last night...in a killer dress"). But now it seems that with the recession deciding to hang out for a bit--people are now making cheaper, smarter options. Now its not "I love your shoes, where did you get them ...Oh Gucci!" BUT "I love your shoes, where did you get them? Oh Target, on sale!". I guarantee you've had this conversation with your best friend probably yesterday. And this goes for other goods as well. You now have bragging rights because your bought a "green" car, not just a luxury car. We all know its trendy to be "green" -- but is it now "trendy" to be thrifty?

THE THRIFT TREND -- I kind of like it. I was always a fan of the indie-rock hipster style of shopping at thrift stores, and bragging about it. In fact - I made a habit of it. But with everyone being affected by the recession, its become more than a sub-culture trend, but a universal idea. So is under-indulgance the new over-indulgance. Maybe not just yet, things take time to acclimate. But I feel there is almost more pride in the fact that you saved money, than you splurged. You can now tell people you got your skirt from Wal-Mart, and not feel the fear of immediate rejection.

So maybe this trend is more than just for saving money, but more from the feeling of accomplishment. We all know that a good feeling associated with any purchase not only scares away buyers remorse BUT encourages future purchases. SO I say I'm down with the thrift trend and will actively be "trendy" tomorrow as I raid Target for a dress for an upcoming wedding. And hey, I may even give Wal-Mart a shop. Really, Wal-Mart could become trendy. Okay, give it some time.

But in the end -- saving money may not just be a means to pay the bills, but a hot new trend.


1 comment:

  1. I like it! My friends and I always brag about how much we save - "I got four outfits for $100!" etc. I love Target, but my favorite place is NY&Co., where I shop the sales racks in the back and can put together a cute, classic outfit for under $50. People shouldn't be so attached to labels - if it fits and it looks good, rock it. Anyone can look like a million bucks if they put the outfit together right.
    ps: thanks for writing...I barely update my blog anymore. :-)

    ReplyDelete